Franzenheim is located on the right side of the Moselle.
In a robbery excavation in 1903, the remains of a Roman villa were found. Four porticus pillars made of white sandstone and copper coins from the 2nd and 4th centuries could be secured. They are exhibited at the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Trier. Further excavations indicate that there was a Roman villa rustica (farm) in the center.
In the Middle Ages, Franzenheim was always one of the smallest and poorest villages in the area.